"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer." Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
Volunteering with the Institute of Flight offers you the chance to experience a wide range of responsibilities. It's a great opportunity to grow your skills and knowledge, attain valuable work related experiences and have fun while making a difference.
- Gallery Guide - As a gallery guide you will serve as a navigator for our guests from 180+ countries, and interpret our exhibits on the gallery floor at the Future of Flight. The goal with our Gallery Guide program is to enhance the visitor experience with a deeper understanding of importance and relevance, i.e. engines, other components to make the visitor's tour interesting and informative. Download the Gallery Guide Volunteer Application below for more information.
- Fundraising - Assist with fundraising events, donor acknowledgments, data entry, grant research, and grant writing.
- Communications - Prepare newsletters and e-blasts.
- Photography - Attend events and education programs and take photographs for the Institute of Flight materials.
- Events - Support welcoming guests, set-up and take-down, and help with logistics.
- Visitor Services - Provide information on our exhibits, the Boeing Tour, and points of interest in the region.
- Volunteers should be skilled in the following: computer software (including fundraising programs), data entry, ability to stand for long periods of time and to lift at least 30 pounds.
We have several office-based volunteer roles and occasionally virtual roles. To apply, please complete the volunteer application or send us your résumé and cover letter. In your cover letter, include your availability and three references with contact information (e-mail and day phone).
If you choose to send your cover letter and résumé, please e-mail them to our Volunteer Coordinator. Otherwise, complete the volunteer application through our Volunteer Match site. Share with us your strengths and the kind of a volunteer experience you envision.
We'll conduct an in-person interview (if local) or by phone for our virtual editors. Following the interview and references check, we'll complete a criminal history background check on each applicant. At this step volunteers will be asked to provide a Social Security number and birth date. (This information is only used to do the background check.)
Thanks for exploring our postings. We look forward to meeting you! If you are interested in volunteering for the Institute of Flight, we would love to hear from you.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator.
We manage our mission through our dedicated volunteers. The best way to reach us is to e-mail (click on the link above and it will open in an email browser). If you do not hear back within 72 hours, please call our office at 425-438-8100 x229 and leave a message.
Gallery Guide Application
Volunteer applicants either complete and submit this application or apply through the volunteer match link.Download